- Ole Miss School of Business
- Mississippi Angel Network
- Miss. Small Business Development Center
- Transactional Law Clinic
- UM Foundation
- Insight Park
- Division of Technology Management
- Haley Barbour Center for Mfg. Excellence
- Mississippi Development Authority
- Mississippi Small Business Development Center
- Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce
- North Mississippi Enterprise Initiative (NMEI)
2023 Gillespie Business Plan Competition
Apr 21, 2023
Since 2005, the annual Gillespie Business Plan Competition, organized by the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) has been fostering entrepreneurship by encouraging students to develop their business ideas. The hallmark program of the CIE is open to any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at the university.
Over the years, many innovative Ole Miss Students gained their entrepreneurial start and subsequently launched successful companies from the competition. Each year the winners receive over $30,000 in cash and in-kind services. Cash awards are made as scholarships through the students’ bursar account.
The Gillespie Competition runs during the spring semester each year and is open to all interested Ole Miss students or student teams.
This event is held with a public audience and distinguished outside business professionals as judges. The final teams are awarded cash and prizes with the winner also receiving free rent for a year at Insight Park’s Innovation Hub. Since 2019, the Thomas W. Colbert-Community Bank Innovation Award was established to recognize an outstanding venture driven by innovation in a product/process/service or development of a technological change. The Lynn and Ron Samuels Student Entrepreneur Award will also recognize a student entrepreneur venture team who exemplifies the entrepreneurial spirit through a venture driven by innovation in a product, process or service. The Stephen E. Rowell Entrepreneur Award is a $5,000 prize awarded to a student entrepreneur venture team or individual, who exemplifies the entrepreneurial spirit through a venture driven by innovation in a product, process or service.
Past Gillespie Winners
- 2022 Rumie App – Tanner McCraney & Patrick Phillips
- 2021 Froomie – Brea Givens
- 2020 DaisNotes – Nicholas Neilson-Slabach & Kyle Herbert
- 2019 Move Fitness – Jake Harrison & Tyler Moore
- 2018 ShortWork – Will Tribble & Sam Harres
- 2017 Collegiate Tutoring – Lee Ingram
- 2016 Curtsy – Sara Kiparizoska
- 2015 Nippy Pumps – Tameka Wilson
- 2014 Cotton’s Café Dog Treat Bakery – Janet McCarty
- 2013 Isabel Thomas Designs – Taylor Isabel Thomas
- 2012 Utah Raptor Games – Ryan Rigney
- 2011 EOS – Ryan Andrews
- 2010 HRinnovations.com – Jack Smother’s
- 2009 Fantastic Flatware – Jennifer Harjes
- 2008 AussieDealz.com – Joshua Stelzer
- 2007 Middle Tennessee Times – Parul Bajaj, Mary Grace Bratschi, Erin Dickey, Anjali Pahwa, Karah Shelly
- 2006 SoberCycles – Brent McHenry, Ashley Sullivan, Monica Evans, Courtney Gregory
- 2005 CTS Consulting – David Shields & Virginia Turnage
Jackson Avenue Center
Sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on CIE news.
Sign Up Now