- Ole Miss School of Business
- Mississippi Angel Network
- Miss. Small Business Development Center
- Transactional Law Clinic
- UM Foundation
- North Mississippi Enterprise Initiative (NMEI)
- Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce
- Insight Park
- Division of Technology Management
- Haley Barbour Center for Mfg. Excellence
- Mississippi Development Authority
- Mississippi Small Business Development Center
International Business Model Competition Oxford Regional Qualifier
On November 30, 2018 , Ole Miss hosts a regional qualifier for the International Business Model Competition. During a one-day event, colleges and universities from around the mid-south are invited to have their best student teams present their business model to our judges. The Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Ole Miss will sponsor the winning team to compete in the international competition in May 2018. Each team will present once in the afternoon to determine who will progress to the international competition. All student teams, anywhere in the country, who meet the eligibility requirements nationwide are invited to submit their application, Ole Miss has specifically invited 60 higher-education institutions in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Alabama.
During the Friday event. On a typical event, mentors and students are invited to watch all the pitches. Mentors are also invited to mingle in the Center’s office as we work to build a mid-south ecosystem. Final Round pitching will begin around 1 PM and wrap up around 4 PM. The winners will be announced close to 5 PM on that Friday before the event concludes.
Initial Submission Process
Initial submissions will likely follow the guidelines for submission to the open round segment of the International Competition.
1) Create a 5-8 minute video presentation describing the customer discovery and validation you have been through with your idea and business model. You may use PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi or any other presentation software. The presentation needs to be narrated and saved as a video file.
2) Upload your video to YouTube (if you want to keep your video hidden mark it as “unlisted” NOT “private,” only someone logged into your account can watch your videos marked private).
3) Submissions are open! Submit your video and we’ll get back in touch with you by October 31st to invite the semi-finalists.
(sign up will open September 1, 2018)
What your submission should contain
The judges are looking for examples of meaningful and continued communication with customers. They’d like to hear that you’ve thought about your business in a way that is hypothesis-driven and focused on the customer, rather than focusing on building out a business plan. Here are the criteria that the judges are using to evaluate your submission. Below, is an example of a submission to the International competition from 2016. The video is reasonably polished and makes good use of colors and the business model canvas. This kind of video can be made pretty easily by recording voice over a PowerPoint presentation or make it directly on your phone using something like Spark Video on your phone.